Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Easy Garden Vegetable Casserole


I love Summertime food...I don't like summer, but I like the food :-) My kids argue vehemently over that with me because they love the pool, but I don't like the heat. I guess the Lord knew that and did not have me live in a very hot climate like Brazil or something...lol!

When vegetables like kohlrabi, cabbage, spring carrots, onions, and such start to come in, I begin to look for different ways to fix them. Kohlrabi is one of those vegetables that most people don't know about or if they do, they don't know what to do with it other than slice and dip in ranch dressing. 

I have a Spring Vegetable Casserole Recipe that I would like to share with you that I came up with a few months ago. The original idea for this casserole came from a breakfast dish my mom would make for Christmas Breakfast...I just changed a few things to make it more versatile! This recipe is SO easy and SO delicious that even your picky-eater-child will want to eat this!!!

Here goes....

Grease a 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Crumble 8 bread rolls, biscuits, or 10 pieces of sliced bread into the bottom of the greased dish. 

In a large mixing bowl combine the following ingredients and whisk together...
   1. 8 farm raised eggs
   2. 1 cup raw milk
   3. 2 tsp. mustard ( I love to use mustard by Eden...yummy!)
   4. 1/2 tsp  Celtic Gray or Redmond Real salt

In a skillet on the stove over medium heat, brown 1 pound of either ground beef or sausage. You can do half and half of the beef and sausage to give the dish a little more spice if yo want.  Personally, that is what I do because I really don't care for either meat by themselves but think they make an awesome combo!

Sprinkle the browned meat over the crumbled bread rolls in the dish.

Now for the vegetables.....chop or dice 1 large kohlrabi, two spring carrots, enough onion to suit your own personal preferences, a few sprigs of broccoli, and if tomatoes are in season, 1 large tomato. Sprinkle these chopped vegetables over the browned meat.

Pour the liquid mixture over top of the meat and vegetables.

Grate 8 oz. of sharp cheddar cheese ( I love Cabot Cheese!) and sprinkle over all.

Bake at 375 uncovered until center is set and bubbly and the sides are lightly browned! Take out and let cool for 10 minutes before serving!

I have yet to have any complaints from anyone that I've served this Casserole to! Here are some pictures of one that I made recently myself!
Casserole before the cheese!

These are two of my Giant Kohlrabi's that I got for $1 a piece at my local farmers market...they were the size of large Cabbages!!!


Topped with yummy Cabot Cheese!

Ready to EAT! Doesn't this look SO yummy??
 With all the vegetables starting to come in now, I encourage you to get creative and find some different ways to prepare your vegetables other than just chopping them up and throwing them on top of a bed of greens. Not that doing them that way is a bad thing, but it can get boring and can be hard for little ones to eat and digest. Putting them raw into a casserole that only bakes them until they are tender is a great way to help children eat things that are good for them in a very "eye pleasing" way!

Tomorrow, Lord willing, I will be sharing a Green Drink that I make in my blender using fresh vegetables and greens that will put down the "Uggh, it's GREEN!" philosophy:-) Even my two year old loves to drink his "juice" so I know you will enjoy it too! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments relevant to the material posted. Any inappropriate comments will be removed. Thank you!